In order to update and widen the subject knowledge and the general knowledge of the students and the staff, the library is run with the following objectives.
- To update the subject knowledge
- To know day-today information
- To avail career information and seek employment
- To prepare for competitive examination
- To improve communication skills
- To develop interpersonal relationship
- To widen the general knowledge.
Location and Building
The Library is a spacious, well ventilated, well lit, well-furnished two – storeyed building centrally located in the campus. The reception counter for circulation, periodical section, photo copying service section and the office of the librarian are located in the ground floor. The OPAC- online search section, reference book section, research section, staff and students reading room, online-reference, subject reference hall and toilets are located in the first floor. The stock – rooms for arts and science subjects are in the second floor.
Best Practices in the Library
- In the beginning of the academic year, Orientation is given to the new comers.
- As and when New Services are introduced, orientation is given to all the members.
- Open access system is followed to give free access to the readers.
- Display of current events and educational & employment opportunities on the notice board.
- To speed up all the services Central Library is computerized with NIRMALS software and books are bar-coded.
- Display of New Arrivals.
- Library Association conducts seminars/conferences and many competitions to kindle reading habits.
- Library Advisory Committee advices for the betterment and modernized services and facilities.
- Online Reference facilities are given to all the readers.
- References for Theses & Dissertation of Staff & Students are also available.
- Library Serves the Outsiders also, with the permission from the Principal.
- Certificate Course in Library and Information Science is conducted from 2008 onwards.
- Readers make use of the CD. players to access the information through CDs.
The following facilities are provided in the library.
- Book bank
- Question bank
- References on the text books, reference books, Journals/Magazines and Thesis/Projects
- Non-Book Materials and Online Reference – Audio cassettes, CDs and DVDs, Browsing through internet, INFLIBNET NList – e journals & e books.
- Surveillance camera
- Water and Toilet facility
All the students and staff of the college are the members of the Library. Each UG student is issued with two library cards, each PG student with three library cards, each M.Phil. Student with four library cards and each research scholar with five library cards to borrow books. Reference books, journals and periodicals are issued to the Teachers.
Outside users: Besides the students and the staff of this college, government officials, alumnae and employees of institutions run by the sisters of St. Anne of Tirruchirapalli are allowed to refer and borrow books from the library with special permission from the Principal.
Rules and Regulations
- To facilitate the atmosphere for reading, readers should do their reference works silently.
- Students have to return the books from 12:15 to 1:00 p.m. and borrow the books from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. on all working days.
- Students are strictly forbidden either to underline or mark on the Library Books. Folding the corners of pages is not allowed.
- Readers are advised to examine the condition of the book at the time of borrowing itself. If there is any damage, it should be immediately brought to the notice of the Librarian. Otherwise the borrower will be held responsible for the damage.
- A student who discontinues her studies in the course of the year should surrender her library cards and get a ‘no due chit’ from the Librarian.
- All the students must return their library cards at the end of their course.
The Library Association promotes the reading habit among the students by conducting various competitions and giving certificates to the winners. National Conferences, State Level Seminars and Special lectures are also arranged for the students and staff to update their knowledge about the modern technology based information services. Maximum use of the available reading materials is encouraged through programmes on Book Review and Journal Review.