National Cadet Corps (NCC)
Motto : “Unity and Discipline”
CO-ORDINATOR : Lt. Mrs. L. Merlin Dayana – Associate NCC Officer
NCC unit in JAC was established in 1972 and this unit is affiliated to 2TN (G) Bn NCC, Madurai. Initially 40 Cadets were enrolled in the NCC and the present strength is 160. The participation in NCC carries one credit. Additional credit is given for the participation in camps. The students attending the camps are given retest and are given full attendance.
- To develop character, comradeship, discipline, leadership, secular outlook, spirit of adventure and the ideals of selfless service amongst the youth of the country.
- To create a human resource of organized, trained and motivated youth, so as to provide leadership in all walks of life and make them always available for the service of the nation.
- To provide a suitable environment to motivate the youth to take up a career in the Armed Forces.
Only first year degree students are enrolled on voluntary basis. Once enrolled, they take part in regular activities for two years. Every academic year, the training programme is for 80 hours (120 periods) of parade. The cadets are also given training to pass B and C certificates. C-Certificate is the highest recognition of training and qualification of a Senior NCC cadet and B-Certificate is the initial recognition of training and qualification of a Senior NCC cadet.
NCC syllabus is the common syllabus framed by the NCC for SW Girls and is the same all over India. Qualified instructors handle the respective subjects according to the lesson plan given. Girls will appear for ‘B’ certificate exam at the end of I training year (80% attendance and a Camp mandatory) and for ‘C’ certificate at the end of II training year (Pass in ‘B’ certificate 80% attendance, 2 ATCs and one special camp mandatory).
- The NCC Cadets get regular service training and leadership training on Saturdays.
- The NCC Cadets attend All India Camps like National Launch Camp, Annual Launch Camp, Thal Sanick Camp and Republic Day Camp and participate in trekking and rock climbing.
- They involve in the organization of the awareness programmes, rallies, relief work, total sanitation programme, blood donation, health camps, rural education programmes, literacy and self-employment programmes for the dropouts from schools, and the under privileged women.
- The NCC Cadets annually appear for ‘B’ and ‘C’ certificate examinations which enhance their chances of employability and incentives are provided by the central Government to the certificate holders for recruitment in the ranks in the Defense Forces.
- It inculcates the spirit of adventure, courage to face hardship, inquisitiveness and love for nature in the minds of the Cadets.
- NCC Special Entry Scheme for Senior Division Wings graduates in Officers Training Academy in group 19-25 years with 50% marks, through District Directorate General of States go for direct interview (Staff Selection Board) every year. The Cadets are exempted from Combined Defense Services Examination conducted by Union Public Service Commission.
- 80% attendance for 2 years – 40 marks
- ATC (other than 2 compulsory) – 5 marks for each camp
- Special camps (other than one compulsory) -10 marks for each camp
- Pass in ‘B’ certificate – 15 marks
- Pass in ‘C’ certificate – 15 marks
- Those who attend RDC Delhi or TSC-RDC Delhi – Maximum of 95 marks will be awarded
- Various Incentives are provided by the central Government to Cadets with NCC ‘B’ & ‘C’ certificate holders for recruitment in the ranks in the Defense Forces.
- NCC Special Entry Scheme for SD Wings graduates in OTA in group 19-25 years with 50% marks, through DDG of states for direct interview (SSB) every year. The Cadets are exempted from CDS examination conducted by Union Public Service Commission.
- Twenty eight prizes were won in different intercollegiate competitions. Besides these, the students participated in outreach programmes organized by NCC.
- Lt. Mrs. L. Merlin Dayana attended PRCN course held at Gwalior for 3 months and was designated as Associate NCC Officer.